The Mighty St. James Pipe Organ
St. James Church purchased its organ from Johnson and Son of Westfield, MA, for a total installed cost of $4,665.80 on January 18, 1878. This organ was installed in St. James' second church building, located on Ellicott Street. It was dismantled and rebuilt with its tracker action when the "new" church building was constructed on East Main Street in 1908.
In 1923 the orginal organ was enlarged with new pipes added to Johnson's original work. Viner & Son Organ Company of Buffalo, NY , completed this addition and also electrified the blower.
In the 1940's the Tellers Organ Company of Erie, PA overhauled a major portion of the organ. The earlier Viner & Son work was revised and still more pipes from an Aeolian organ owned by Harper Sibley of Rochester were added. The old console was electropneumaticized.
Sometime after 1940 the Klann Organ Supply Company of Waynesboro, VA constructed a new console. This console remained in use until the total renovation in 1990.
In 1969 one of the organ's four divisions, the Swell, was completely rebuilt by Schilker Organ Company of Buffalo, NY.
In 1988 a complete overhaul of the organ was begun, and the present instrument was first used on Easter Day of 1990. On October 14, 1990, a Festival Choral Evensong service celebrated the dedication of the newly renovated organ.
The current organ has 2,738 pipes, 51 ranks, 40 stops and 53 registers.
St. James is truly blessed to have this beautiful instrument played every Sunday for our worship service.